Friday, March 4, 2011

Rolling my eyes about this scandal at Northwestern

Tonight, while I was out in the city and having a little warm me up time at a nearby Starbucks and waiting for my literary reading event, there was a stack of Redeye nearby my seat. The big story was about a Northwestern University professor who taught human sexuality having a live sex toy demonstration at an auditorium last week for his class.

The uproar about this reminded me how uptight this country is when it comes to sexuality. There are two things people here seldom discuss, sex and death. Of the two, sex seems to be more taboo. We are also a violent nation, which make it understandable that we tolerate violence more than sex.

Violence is usually done on the outside of the body, where as sex involves some kind of penetration. That must unsettle a lot of people and thus one reason why the topic is not discussed.

There should be worse things that is world more upsetting than this.

5 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaa..... You are so right. In other countries it's not a big deal and hear it is so hush hush. It is nuts. Ha! I am sure that speaker had standing room only. I have never understood our society. So, did you go listen and watch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mistress,

    It was at a class for human sexuality and had heard about the controversy on the evening news. Apparently, a sex toy was mounted on a reciprocating saw and then inserted into her vagina. I don't exactly know what the point of this exercise was, other than the professor demonstrating some ways for women to pleasure themselves.

    Come (no pun intended) to think of it, all this hub-bub is quite humorous to me. The idea that these young adults taking the course might have been "traumatize" by this experience seems silly.

    It's not like they were demonstrating shibari.

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shibari would have been much more interesting. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know what shibari is and can't imagine a sex toy mounted on a reciprocating saw inserted into a vagina. So I think violence must just be easier for the average boob like me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Miss Gothic Muffet,

    Oh you know of the art of Japanese rope bondage?

    Breeze,

    Shibari, it is what I said above. As for the reciprocating sex toy, some would have considered that performance art.

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete